RE: biofuels production best practices information request (served with a very small side of rant) - swag available for good work

Here in the Upper Left-Hand Corner some folks call it bioenergy and focus more on canola oil & other “brassica” feedstocks.

WA state has laws, incentives, and R & D projects to develop the state’s biofuel industry and biofuel use.  Check out:

WA state government bioenergy website   http://www.bioenergy.wa.gov/About.aspx

WA Dept. of Ag  bioenergy website at     http://www.agr.wa.gov/bioenergy/

For very practical info/links see http://www.bioenergy.wa.gov/Permitting.aspx

Incl. WA Office if Regulatory Assistance fact sheets on biofuel facility permit steps

Seattle Fire Dept. Powerpoint on building and fire codes applicable to small & large biodiesel producers

And US Dept. of Energy guidebooks on blending, distributing & using biofuels & ethanol.

WA Dept. of Ecology contact for more info is Rob Reuter:  425-649-7086   rreu461@ecy.wa.gov

Oregon Environmental Council has an Oct.2007 report on “”sustainable biofuels.”    Chapters on environmental concerns, and refinery designs/impacts, look esp. useful.    http://www.oeconline.org/economy/sustainablebiofuels/index_html

Oregon state Biomass Energy website:  http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/RENEW/Biomass/BiomassHome.shtml

Pacific Regional Biomass Energy Partnership has a site on biomass stock/technologies at http://www.pacificbiomass.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1

Alaska Biodiesel Network site http://www.alaskabiodiesel.org/   has a “getting started” tutorial link from a collaborative “how-to” group.  Includes info on safety, storage, etc.    http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

Be sure to address by-product use/applications.  E.g., hazards of using waste glycerin as a dust suppressant, overloading capacity for land & water systems to absorb it.

Regards -   Cathy Buller

Pacific NW Pollution Prevention Resource Center (PPRC)

Seattle, WA

206-352-2050

cbuller@pprc.org

www.pprc.org