To: <p2tech@great-lakes.net>; "Deb Jacobson" <djacobson@istc.illinois.edu>
Cc: "Dave Foulkes" <Dave.Foulkes@epa.state.oh.us>; "Jim Carney" <Jim.Carney@epa.state.oh.us>; "Laurie Stevenson" <laurie.stevenson@epa.state.oh.us>; "Michael Kelley" <Michael.Kelley@epa.state.oh.us>; <mboyle@istc.illinois.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:31 AM
Subject: Re: TCE Replacement

Deb,

Here are a list of ones we have recommended to replace TCE. I would be
interested in what the contaminant is on the parts. We have had good
success with having companies switch to more water soluble metal working
fluids, which leads to less aggressive solvent cleaning requirements.

IE- Tomasco Mulciber Case Study
http://www.msfluid.com/PDFs/TOMASCO_cs.pdf

Alternative Solvents - partial list

Alternative solvent vendors-

Inland Technology
401 East 27th St.
Tacoma, WA 98421
(206) 922-8932 or (800) 552-3100
http://www.inlandtech.com/Products.html#
X-Caliber™ or EP921™ or Citrex-EB™

SOYsolv
6154 N CR 33
Tiffin, OH  44883
(800) 231-4274
Fax: (419) 992-4595
For pricing and ordering information: sales@soysolv.com
For technical product information: steve@soysolv.com
http://www.soysolv.com/

Franmar Chemical, Inc.
P.O. Box 97
Normal IL, 61761
(800) 538-5069
Fax: (309) 862-1005
E-mail: franmar@franmar.com
http://www.franmar.com/

Vertec BioSolvents, Inc.
1441 Branding Lane, Suite 100
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(630) 960-0600
Fax: (630) 960-0660
http://www.vertecbiosolvents.com/Applications/applications.html

Ag. Environmental Products
12700 West Dodge Rd.
Omaha, NE 68154
(800) 599-9209
Fax: (402) 498-2247
http://www.soygold.com/

U.S. Polychemical Corporation
584 Chestnut Ridge Rd.
Chestnut Ridge, NY 10977
(800) 431-2072
http://www.uspoly.com/bgmstrip.html

PURAC America
111 Barclay Boulevard
Lincolnshire Corporate Center
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
(847) 634-6330
Fax: (847) 634-1992
E-mail: pam@purac.com
http://www.purac.com/

Ron Smith
Ohio EPA, Office of Compliance Assistance & Pollution Prevention
614-644-2813
614-644-2807 fax
ron.smith@epa.state.oh.us
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/ocapp/ocapp.html
"We exist temporarily by what we take, we exist forever by what we
give."
-Will Rogers, Jr.

Deb Jacobson <djacobson@istc.illinois.edu> 8/18/2008 11:44 AM >>>
Hello P2Techies!

Malcolm Boyle, one of the engineers here at ISTC (formerly WMRC) is
working with a company interested in eliminating TCE from its parts
washing process.  Presently, they have two vapor degreaser units
(with ultrasonics) using TCE and are looking for alternative cleaners
or cleaning system.

They clean small parts, smaller than dime size to quarter
size.  Parts are composed of copper or copper alloys and are plated
with tin ( or  other different metals).  They do not want to use
N-propyl bromide or CO2 snow or aqueous due to spotting (and other
issues).

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?

Please copy Malcolm on your response (mboyle@istc.illinois.edu).

Deb Jacobson

Please note - As of July 1, 2008 WMRC became the University of
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center - My e-mail address has
changed as a result.  Please update your address
book!  djacobson@istc.illinois.edu
Debra Jacobson
E-mail Address djacobson@istc.illinois.edu
Sustainable Technology Center