Re: Fleet Driver Incentive Programs to Save Fuel?

P2RIC recently ran a story about the Union Pacific Railroad, who trains
their engineers to reduce fuel consumption using a computer simulation
program.  They give engineers a $100 gas card (for their personal vehicle)
every month if they keep their fuel usage below average for their
territory.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10280886

I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, but it is an example.  *smile*

cheers,
Jean

Jean S. Waters
Pollution Prevention Resource Exchange
Nebraska Business Development Center
6001 Dodge St. RH 308
Omaha, NE  68182
402-554-6259 (voice)
402-554-6260 (FAX)
jwaters@mail.unomaha.edu

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do"  John Wooden)

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Eric van Gestel" <evg@Enverity.com>                                                                                                    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |<p2tech@great-lakes.net>                                                                                                                |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |09/07/2008 04:03 PM                                                                                                                     |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Fleet Driver Incentive Programs to Save Fuel?                                                                                           |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I received this from a friend who asked if I might know of anyone who might
have a good suggestion:

Fleet Driver Incentive Programs to Save Fuel?

As the finance guy for a large environmental services company with a large
over-the-road fleet, I am interested in developing a program to incentivize
my drivers to save fuel. My company is installing auxiliary power units to
reduce idling and we are programming engines to reduce idle time and
restrict speeding. These efforts, along with a tight fuel purchase program
are yielding considerable savings. However, drivers feel squeezed by all of
these efforts. And I firmly believe that the biggest potential savings
would come from the efforts of the drivers themselves. Does anybody have
thoughts on how to share fuel savings with drivers as a way to incentivize
them to drive even higher fuel savings and also make them feel like they
can participate in the savings?

Thanks for any help and/or ideas!
Eric van Gestel
CEO