Re: Fleet Driver Incentive Programs to Save Fuel?

The Kansas Small Business Environmental Assistance program recently
hosted a workshop for diesel fleets about decreasing emissions (and
increasing fuel savings).  A representative from EPA region 7 spoke
about ?Clean Freight Strategies? and the EPA Smartway Program.  One of
the members of the Smartway program implemented a speed reduction
program that also allows a driver to be rewarded with better gas
mileage by earning the ability to drive faster.  This does seem
contradictory, but I think you could contact the Smartway Program
(http://www.epa.gov/smartway/)  and they may have more information and
suggestions for you.   The Smartway program may be a good group for
this fleet to join: it provides resources, calculators, and financing
options for fleets.

The link to the presentation is available at
http://www.sbeap.org/workshops/DieselTech2008/04%20-%20Clean%20Freight%20Strategies%20(Amy%20Bhesania).pdf.
 See page 12.

Best regards,
Ryan

Ryan Hamel
Pollution Prevention Institute
Kansas State University
Office: 913.715.7018
Fax: 913.715.7005
1.800.578.8898
www.sbeap.org

Attend the upcoming Energy Efficiency for Businesses Lunch and Learn
on-line or in-person on Sep. 10.  Learn more and register at
http://www.sbeap.org/workshops.php?workshop=9.