pollution prevention concerns in clean energy technologies

Hi All,

With all due respect for the need to encourage greener energy development,  it would be helpful to list the problematic chemicals and materials involved.  We know about electronics manufacturing challenges (solvents, solders, coatings, adhesives, flame retardants, certain plastics), and we know about manufacture of turbines and windmills.

What about the new high performance semiconductors?  Do you know of any materials you are concerned about?
We know nanomaterials are just now being catalogued for their possible hazard values.
What about the mysterious 'black box" batteries that are so wonderfully efficient?
What about the whole array of photovoltaic designs ?

What else?

Thanks!

Janet Clark
Senior Associate Director
Toxics Use Reduction Institute,  University of Massachusetts
One University Ave,     Lowell, MA 0`854-2866
Tel 978-934-3346,                                      Fax 978-934-3050
http://www.turi.org

Adjusted for production, TURA filers have decreased their toxic chemical use by 45% and
are generating 69% less byproduct. During this same eleven years,  core TURA filers reported
an overall 45% increase in production!