RE: Alternatives for open burning, open detonation treatment of haz waste

Pat—

It's not my area of expertise but I do recall a few years back that Milan (TN) Army Ammunition Plant used something called a Donovan Chamber for enclosed detonation of munition items. Online I’ve seen reference to such chambers tested on chemical munitions too.

Several search engine hits follow--

http://www.stormingmedia.us/73/7325/A732524.html

[PDF]  Draft Encyclopedia X

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
units include the Donovan Blast Chamber, the Blast. Containment Structure and the Hurd Burn Units. 2.1.2.1 Donovan Blast Chamber. The Donovan Blast Chamber ...
www.trainex.org/web_courses/subpart_x/Encyclopedia%20X%20pdf%20files/.../DonovanBlastChambe... - Similar pages

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA406954

I also recall something about using molten salt baths for deactivating.

And here’s a book that popped up on the topic--

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/716118/description#description

CHEMICAL WEAPONS DESTRUCTION AND EXPLOSIVE WASTE

Chemical Weapons Destruction and Explosive WasteUnexploded Ordinance Remediations
To order this title, and for more information, click
here

By
Robert Noyes, Noyes Publications

I hope this is useful.

Rodney Sobin

Postal: P.O. Box 1105, Richmond, VA 23218-1105

Street:  629 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219-2429

Tel. 804-698-4382

rsobin@deq.virginia.gov

DEQ Innovative Technology http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech

DEQ Distributed Energy Resources http://www.deq.virginia.gov/innovtech/der1.html