RE: Emergency release prevention

Hello Paul,

This report is very interesting and I do believe that P2 should be playing a
major role in reducing risk and improving security. I did some work a few
years ago using RMP data to define action levels as to high, medium, and low
risk.  My thought was that many people define the level of risk as some
arbitrary number (like 100,000 or more), with no consideration as to how the
number is derived.  If you don't define the number, the method to derive the
number, and the basic modeling assumptions, then you often end up comparing
apples to oranges.

But I'm more curious about the publishing of your data.  While RMP reports
are public documents, I recall that the USEPA prohibits what you have done.
You are not allowed to compile the data from individual reports and then
present a database of the results that allows individual sites to be
identified.  A similar compilation of RMP data was available on the internet
a few years ago but was pulled down due to this issue.  I would be interested
in knowing if the USEPA has lifted these restrictions.  Otherwise, a very
interesting work.

Mike Callahan, PE
Jacobs Engineering
1111 S. Arroyo Parkway