RE: The original recyclers - Automotive Salvage

This is a great discussion.  One of the fears I have had, and they may well be unfounded, is that behemoths of industry such as GM, Whirlpool, and Dell computers will figure out the way to save money is to control the refurbished market as well.

If GM took back all their vehicles to cannibalize them for new models, if Whirlpool were to incentivize their distributors' efforts for take-back programs, if Dell were to take their own machines back and place those two or three new parts in there to make a "new" computer, would not the blow to small business be enormous?

I can't tell you the number of companies I have in my area of Tennessee that depend on the wasteful tactics of "make, sell, make, sell, make, sell" of huge manufacturers so that they will have after market materials to refurbish or deconstruct for recycle markets.

I agree the giants of consumer goods should be more responsible, but there will be unintended consequences we will have to deal with if many of them ever become "closed loop" operations.  Agree?  Disagree?

Vaughn Cassidy
West TN Environmental Coordinator
Office of Environmental Assistance
Tn. Dept. of Environment and Conservation
Office: (731) 512-1343
Cell: (731) 267-8963
Fax: (731) 661-6283
www.tdec.net

>>> "Callahan, Mike" <Mike.Callahan@jacobs.com> 12/2/2008 1:44 PM >>>
Some interesting numbers.  But I'll assume that the 84% by weight figure for
automobile recycling mainly applies to melting down all of the metal and
recasting. Is there any info as to what percentage of parts are reusable
versus the percentage of parts that are actually reused?  Say, out of 100
alternators removed from junked cars, do 10, 50, or 90 find direct reuse?

And why just target the OEM for repair sales?  If Detroit were to standardize
the design of basic parts then you could reuse the parts in the production of
new cars.  The trick would be to have an extensive refurbishment and test
program so that one could provide warranties on the recycled parts. This will
add some costs to the recycled parts, but the overall benefit is still there.

I think that the main objection to closing the loop is that business always
has this grow or die mentality. Detroit is looking for a bailout while they
will still sell a million cars this year (ok, don't quote me on this figure
but even a 50% drop in sales means that they are still selling a lot of
cars).  And if you apply the concept of sustainability, then they should be
able to turn a profit even when sales equal the natural replacement rate
without growth.  If you can't do that, you're not sustainable. Okay, enough
soap box.