RE: Five why's = root cause analysis

Hi Michelle,

Boy, talk about a defeatist end statement.  Why ask why if you’re going to end the line of questioning with a statement that equates to “because that’s the way we’ve always done it and we’re not going to change.”  I would prefer to see:

ü      Why is this type of corrosion protection absolutely necessary? Because the parts are stored outdoors, exposed to weather.

So is the root cause corrosion protection or improper storage leading to corrosion?  Ferrous iron parts will rust if exposed to moisture and air.  Why do they have to be stored outdoors?  Moving the parts inside into a controlled environment might avoid the potential for corrosion.  Another benefit of indoor storage is that the parts will not be chilled down overnight, this sometimes leading to rejects in the morning (the cold metal may upset temperature control on the hot process baths).

One problem I have with the “5 why’s” concept is that it is too limiting to the problem at hand.  I believe it’s better to ask 10 why’s or 100 why’s until you have exhausted all potential options.  Why use solvent, why use oil, why use this particular oil product, why allow the parts to rust, why make the parts out of steel, why not buy the parts already painted or plated, etc., etc.  Just my 2 cents.

Mike Callahan, PE

Jacobs Engineering

1111 S. Arroyo Parkway

Pasadena CA, 91105