Re: SG-W:/ Yesterday's Sustainable Washtenaw meeting

I'd say that avoiding becoming jaded may be our greatest challenge in
this effort. Those of us truly committed to sustainability are the only
ones who will ensure that this group makes any real progress. Perhaps
finding a champion on the steering committee will help us to mold the
process toward greater progress.

As for whether this effort will progress quickly enough to have an impact
on sprawl in the county, I don't think it really matters. We have to do
what's necessary whether Sustainable Washtenaw initiates it or not.
Realistically, I don't see how we could expect an initiative like this to
have such an immediate impact. I don't think any countywide effort that
tries to be all inclusive could possibly move that fast. (Besides, I
don't remember "making progress" as being one of the goals outlined by
Bob at the beginning of the meeting, do you?) There's a lot of internal
education that still needs to go on, for one thing. I also don't think
that stopping sprawl is necessarily the goal of this effort, although
sprawl may have been a big part of what's created the interest in it.

That said, there is an opportunity available through this process to
inform and influence key decision makers, many of whom, as you noted,
have attended. Take advantage of it. And if there's a township board
member who you think needs some educating, invite them to attend one of
the future meetings (once we start getting into real discussions, that
is.)

My feeling is that we can do this now or we can do this later or we can
not do it at all. I want to do it now. We need to do it now. And if we
think stopping sprawl in the next year(?) needs to be a goal of
Sustainable Washtenaw, we need to push for that.

I suggest that others who attended send your comments to Marion Smith and
ask that she forward them to the steering committee (as I did.) Please be
as constructive as possible. They need all the feedback they can get,
otherwise we're in for a very long haul. (How long did Jeri say she spent
with that other group defining "community"? Two years?)

(Also note that I'm ccing this to Marion, since I don't think she's on
this list. Hi, Marion. Get ready for it!)

Steve