Re: SG-W:/ Re: Victories

I ditto all your concerns, questions, and confusions.  As another employee
of the Huron Watershed Council, an anti Sprawl activist, and a Planning
Commissioner (A2 Township), I run across the same problems.

I do think that Transfer of Development Rights is possible, and the
provisions Joan Martin has been telling you about are necessary.

Also, 5 acre lots *are* sprawl, but if the township can at least separate
the lot size from the overall density and cluster houses so that open
space or farmland is preserved, that would help.

The real answers, I think, lie in getting rural townships like Webster,
Dexter, etc. together with Cities and Villages, like Ann Arbor, Dexter,
etc. to work out how to keep people living in Cities and Villages, where
the infrastructure is there to suppport us, and keep sprawl development
out of the countryside.  This cannot be done without some sort of
intergovernmental planning.  Transfer of Development rights between
cities/villages and townships would work well.  Also, the City/Village
would have tax base sharing with its surrounding townships.  Townships can
pass agricultural security zones, and then run a Purchase of Development
Rights program so that farmers won't lose their inestments on their
property.  I think we need to discuss control of sprawl on an
intergovernmental basis.

But, you're right, it's all so complicated.  I don't really understand how
TDR would work, and I've been studying land use planning for years, now.

I think what Webster and other rural townships can do now is:
Enact a PDR program so farmers who volunteer to do so can receive money
and not sell out their farms.
Do an inventory of natural features in  your township to find out where
the best places are to preserve natual areas and where you might want to
allow debvelopment.
enact natural features protection standards to protect specific features
like creeks and wetlands.
Enact an open space ordinance so that, if development occurs, at least it
doesn't consume all of your open space (A2 Twp. is working on language
right now - I'll keepyou posted).

Any other thoughts?

Kris Olsson