SG-W:/ ESRI/Eastern Michigan University GIS Technology Fair

I would like to extend an invitation to interested parties to attend the Fourth Annual ESRI/Eastern Michigan University GIS Technology Fair.  The Technology Fair is scheduled for Tuesday, September 21, 1999 at Eastern Michigan University's Eagle Crest Conference Center Resort in Ypsilanti.  Registration will be held from 8:30- 9:00 am and sessions end at 4:30 pm.  The event is free with lunch and snacks provided.  Registration can be completed online at:
http://gis.esri.com/seminars or call the number below for more information.

The Technology Fair is a joint effort between The Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI), the world leader in GIS technology and creator of ArcInfo and ArcView software, and the Institute for Community and Regional Development (ICARD) at EMU.   ICARD established Michigan's first certified ArcView GIS learning center and has consistently provided GIS training using ESRI software to a multitude of clients.  ICARD is a public service unit of Eastern Michigan University.  ICARD's purpose is to make the expertise and capabilities of the university available to governments, community agencies, and businesses.  Areas of expertise include planning and management, public policy, groundwater education, land use planning issues, and computer technology including GIS.

This event will provide you with exposure to geographic information system (GIS) solutions, an overview of software directions, exposure to third party service providers, and training sessions by ICARD.  We are expecting 300 participants this year comprised of GIS users, government officials, land use planners, engineers, businesses, consultants and students.

Our main goal is to make GIS technology as widely available as possible so people can use it to solve real problems.  Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are being used by many of our local communities for emergency dispatch, land use planning decision making, water and sewer infrastructure maintenance, property description and mapping, as well as by our local developers.  Washtenaw County, the City of Ann Arbor, and Ypsilanti Township are just a few examples of local communities that have successfully implemented GIS technology.

I am collecting interesting maps from Michigan users for the Map Gallery at the Technology Fair.  Any subscribers that are creating maps are welcome to submit their work.

For more information or map submission, please contact me at:

Diana Cregar:   diana.halliwill@emich.edu
Institute for Community and Regional Development/EMU
34 N. Washington
Ypsilanti, MI   48197

734-487-0243  phone
734-487-6843  fax