Re: SG-W:/ Tour de Sprawl is de coolest

The 3rd Annual Tour De Sprawl was de coolest!  What a perfect day, a
perfect way to learn more, to embody what distinguishes sprawl from
thoughtful housing, a perfect day to be human with other human beings.
It was nice to put a face to some of the names that speak out in this
list serve.  I have to say that I was pretty discouraged prior to the
tour due to setbacks in my township in the sticks.  However, I am back
in the saddle and, by the way, encourage anybody who wants to see a
township caught in the throws of fear of lawsuits and needing to pull
out of it  into a vision, come visit mine at 7:30pm, Tuesday, in Webster
Township.   Our moratorium was beginning to produce some interesting
thinking and speculating which bombed after some threats from a farmer
and his lawyer.  But maybe they can re-energize too!
Anyway, the tour de sprawl was good for my soul.  Think we better have
one in Webster Twp next year.

>>> Anne Heise <aheise@orchard.wccnet.org> 09/19/99 08:05PM >>>

I sure had a great time at Saturday's Tour de Sprawl III.  I've
followed
environmental issues around here for almost 20 years, but I learned
quite
a few new things on the Tour.

One thing I learned is that the proposed Pittsfield Heritage Area that
is
now under serious development threat ("Newmarket") is far more
beautiful
and more valuable ecologically than I had supposed from my casual
drives
through the area.  I had only seen the worst of Pittsfield - this area
is
the best.

The Tour got good press, a fine audience, and a wonderful turnout of
area
political representatives (State legislators Brater, Hansen, and
Wheeler-Smith, Ann Arbor council members/candidates Herrell, Kolb,
Kwan,
and Yarkin).  I took my 21 month-old daughter Marianne on the Tour,
and
she had a splendid time.  Where else could she see so many of her
favorite
things: citybus, bykissles, chickens, horse eating an apple, train
tracks?

Thanks to all the volunteers (many are part of this listserve group)
who
organized this terrific event. Bit by bit, we are capturing public
support
for saving the land we care so much about.

I hope others will share their perceptions of the Tour.

Doug Cowherd

sprawl, smart growth, and preservation of the quality of life in
Washtenaw
County.

Postings to:  smartgrowth-washtenaw@great-lakes.net      For info,
send