SG-W:/ lawsuits and zoning

There is a very disturbing thing happening in our county and I sure would
like to see some brainstorming here about what to do about it.

Township governments have been very hesitant to stand up to developers and
big land owners because of the fear of lawsuits.  As Erica has said, there
is a farmer in her township threatening legal action if the township doesn't
rezone his property so he can sell it to a developer (Am I getting it right
Erica?).  In Sharon Township, the Board refused to rezone an agricultural
parcel so that a developer could bring in a large mobile home development.
Last week, he filed suit against the township.

My questions are:

What's the point of having a zoning code at all if someone can come into the
courts and challenge the zoning?

Is it considered a taking if the zoning change isn't approved?  Will a
township have to compensate the landowner?

What can we do to support these townships in there efforts to do the right
thing?

I think these questions get to the heart of the problem for many of the
townships in our county.

Any answers?

Jeff Surfus