RE: SG-W:/ lawsuits and zoning

Excellent contribution Phil, I think we need to be pragmatic as well as
creative when we look for solutions to the challenge of how we chose to live
on the land.  As I am not King, and my personal dictates on how to and how
not to develop are rather ineffective, I would like to offer in a few
additional thoughts about working within our current framework.

The cornerstones of our existing land use tools, zoning and master planning,
have their roots in protecting property rights.  The notion is quite simple;
extend the rights of individuals to the point where they begin to negatively
affect the rights of others.  No one wants to be told what he or she can do
with his or her property, but then who want to have a toxic landfill placed
next door to their home?  We regulate to protect property values, as well as
the health, safety and welfare of the people.

Our understanding of how activities of one individual affect the life of
others is constantly changing.  For example, building in the flood plane
negatively impacts, landowners up stream, down stream, and may enlarge the
flood plane so that includes property previously safe from flooding.  It
also increases the public tax liability for disaster relief.  It seems
obvious, and defensible, that the rights of one property owner should be
curtailed for the greater good.  But there are consequences of such a
decision.  If a community changes its regulations, case law has deemed it
appropriate to compensate a landowner who has made an actual investment in
the future development of a property based on a previous set of regulatory
circumstances (pardon the over simplification).

So how do we apply this principal to the growth issue?  I chose to live
close to town and work because it reflects my values and how I foresee the
future economic picture.  Based on my choice, I have the responsibility to
pay taxes to support the services deemed desirable and necessary for my
community.  Other's values may differ and they may choose to build a new
home in the country.  I cannot see imposing my value set on theirs, but they
also have responsibilities that follow their choices.  Will that development
and its new residents pay for the infrastructure necessary to support it
(roads, water, electrical, schools, waste disposal, fire and police
protection, etc.) in a manner that addresses public health, safety and
welfare concerns?  Will that development negatively impact the property
values of or increase the taxes on any existing developments (This is open
to a great deal of subjectivity especially regarding transportation impacts
and pollution)?  If they meet these criteria and are done according to a
well-reasoned plan, I cannot see withholding approval of property
development based on our current governmental situation.  If there is
something that I personally value about their property in an undeveloped
state then personally, or collectively, I should find a way to secure that
property and compensate the landowner.

The difficulty, is that a piece meal approach to project approval, where
development is evaluated only on a site-specific basis, often ends up in a
completely unsatisfactory community that few are fond of.  We only have to
look at the quality of life, and loss in property values in some of the
immediate ring suburbs of Detroit to see the potential outcome.  Thus, the
importance of developing a compressive plan such as Phil alluded to is
paramount.  It also somewhat negates a developer challenging the
exclusiveness of one unit of government's development options.

We also need to respect the developer; do we not all live in some
"development" or another?  They take a substantial financial risk with every
development, and thus tend to be rather conservative.  So, if we are going
to ask a developer to try some of the newer conservation development
techniques we should make sure they are competing on a level field.  Again,
this leans towards a coordinated planning and zoning approach.

In summary, and my apologies for the length of this post, we need to
recognize and work within our current zoning, case law, property rights, and
government framework as we search for the solution.  But I believe that a
compromise can be met that allows for a healthy social, physical, and
economic environment.

- Norm
Norman D. Cox, ASLA
The Greenway Collaborative, Inc.