Re: SG-W:/ A way-out idea

--On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 3:25 PM -0400 Dan Ezekiel <ezekiel@aaps.k12.mi.us>
wrote:

> Donna Estabrook wrote:
>> One reason I don't like the idea of high gas prices to cut down on car
>> use is because of people who are on the low end of the economic ladder
>> who couldn't afford to get to work or the grocery store, etc if gas
>> prices were high...
>
>	 I live near one of the very last of the neighborhood markets
> (Jefferson Market, on the Old West Side, currently closed for remodeling).
> When I was a boy, there were perhaps 20 of these mom-and-pop markets in
> the downtown area.
>	 My friend once suggested that Meijer could buy the Jefferson market
> and set up other tiny auxiliary markets in neighborhoods.  People would
> order what they wanted on-line, and Meijer would ship it to their
> neighborhood market that day.  Instead of everyone in town driving out to
> Meijer every week (tens of thousands of cars), there would be a fleet of
> Meijer trucks (hundreds) bringing the products within walking or very
> short driving distance.
>

> Dan Ezekiel

This sounds pretty good - I don't know if Meijer would go for it though.
If their marketing strategy includes alot of impulse buying promoted by
eye-catching displays, etc. they might not go for it.  Anyway - what's in
it for Meijers?  They would have to manage all these little outlets, have
trucks and drivers, maintain the buildings, etc., etc.