SG-W:/ One More on Density

Ken Clark stated his preference for Portland over Ann Arbor.  It is therefore
not surprising that he is not concerned about increasing densities here.

I honestly prefer Ann Arbor to Portland, and would be sorry if Ann
Arbor became a Portland, (though I know we could do much worse!).

Walking around Chicago over the weekend, I found that the areas with
tall buildings were dark and gusty.  The areas with buildings of
just three or four stories seemed to exist in an entirely different
climate.

The argument was made that if limits are set to Ann Arbor growth,
outlying areas without growth limits will bear the brunt.  Is it
extreme to think that Ann Arbor is a very unusual mix of small city
with the cosmopolitan and intellectual, and worth preserving even
at the expense of the outlying areas?