Re: SG-W:/ Tax cost of residential development

Out of curiosity, Ken: just what WOULD you consider to be curmudgeonly or
disrespectful? From both Barry's original message as well as his reply to
you, it seemed clear to me that there were limits to what could be
inferred from the studies he mentioned, AND that he was aware of and
recognized the importance of those limitations. You appear to believe
that these points were not clear, or indeed not true, which is fine; there
are (respectful) ways to clarify such points.

To me, these ways are focused strictly on the issue being discussed,
and include clarifying what assumptions are being made, and/or noting
where those assumptions are not valid. These ways do not include
questioning the quality of thought exhibited by another person.  You use
words like "asserting", "acknowledging", and "back you up", words which
focus on the PERSON making a statement, rather than on the statement
itself. IF your purpose was to enlighten the rest of us participating in
this forum about a smart-growth issue (which I assume, since you cc'd to
all of us), would it not have been more helpful to point out what you saw
as the weaknesses or limitations in the STUDIES cited, or the CONCLUSIONS
being made based on those studies, rather than a perceived weakness of
argument displayed by an individual person?  Personally, I consider the
latter to be off-topic.

John Bingamon