Re: SG-W:/ People (Who Party) For Parks

Donna,

Thanks for picking up the "Yes For Parks" sign.  You can return it at
tonight's Parks campaign party (310 S. Ashley, 7:30pm), or at the Ecology
Center (117 N. Division).

issues relevant to many on this list, I'll take this opportunity to add a
few more thoughts on the environmental aspects of running an environmental
electoral campaign.

- I agree with the several people who have told me that it would be
hypocritical to ignore the impact of our campaign on the environment.

- I too regret that electoral campaigns require printing a lot of
literature and signs.  But in my opinion the ends (preserving considerable
land) justify these means.  No one I know thinks we could win a campaign
where our prmary opponent was the local newspaper without getting our
message out, and this requires printing.

- Some have suggested that our full-color campaign literature is
environmentally irresponsible.  It is true that years ago color printing
meant toxic inks and low recyclability.  Times have changed.  This
printing was done on recycled paper, with soy ink, and is easily
recyclable in Ann Arbor's facility.  Further, it was printed by a union
press, and at a cost considerably less than black-and-white copies cost at
Kinkos.  This doesn't mean that choosing to print literature is entirely
harmless to the environment.  But I think that the volunteers who
organized the People For Parks campaign did our best to be both good
environmental stewards and good financial stewards.

- We printed 250 campaign signs.  Signs commonly "disappear" into the
landfill after a campaign.  Since the "Yes For Parks" message on our
signs can be used to promote many kinds of future Parks campaigns (like
the one next year), we are trying to retrieve as many as possible, store
them, and then re-use them.  This saves some natural resources and some
financial resources.

If you have concerns or comments about the environmental aspects (or any
others) or the Parkland Acquisition Proposal campaign, feel free to
contact me:

- in person at tonight's victory party (310 S. Ashley, 7:30pm)
- by email (unless it is of interest to many people, privately at
	    aheise@orchard.wccnet.org)
- by phone (662-5205)

Thanks,

Doug Cowherd