Re: SG-W:/ what's going on in the townships

Tina (& all),
Before you showed up at the Planning Commission meeting Thurs, I got up and
asked them two questions about Newmarket and the master plan revision:

1) Is it true that you decided to just look at the Newmarket area in
revisiting the master plan and ignore the planning dept's recommendation to
consider the whole twp?
Answer by chairman Al Paas:  They plan to consider the main area where
development is a big issue, namely the Michigan Ave corridor (including
Newmarket).

2) Do you plan to include public input early in the process as is being done
with the Parks plan, or will you just do the minimum you can get away with
legally and just have a public hearing after all the decisions have been made?
Answer by chairman Al Paas:  "We will have lots of public input."  Early in
the process??  "Yes."

Some things that I noted from the commissioners' discussion:

Commissioner Macek said that, although he does like the new urbanist
concept, he still needs convincing that it makes sense to put that in the
middle of Pittsfield.

In discussing the review of Newmarket and the master plan, the commissioners
agreed that there was no way they could approve the proposal by the 6 month
deadline in early January, so they would see if the developer would go for
an extension.

At first most of the commissioners' comments were about more detail they
would like to see of the proposed residential area (like larger scale
drawings).  My jaw was dropping listening to these indications that all they
really care about in make such a major decision is how pretty the buildings
will look. Luckily Jean Connell spoke up about the need to look at the whole
township, and requested the planning dept to prepare a build-out sort of
map, showing what all is already approved or in the pipeline for approval.
The planning dept is eager to get impact studies (conducted by the
developer!) of things like traffic, natural features, etc.

Craig <harvey@ic.net>