SG-W:/ What does the Food Co-op get?

Tim,

I gave the co-op a call and asked them your question about the food
certificate program. Here's what Michelle (who does their communty
outreach) had to say:

The co-op does not get a direct return, like a tax break, and they do lose
some of the profit margin in those sales.  However, there is still some
profit from the sales and it is a guranteed income, as well as serving as
grass roots marketing.  She also said that supporitng the community is a
primary goal of the food co-op, and that participation in programs such as
this is one way in which they meet that goal.

I hope this is helpful.  Michelle encouraged anyone who has further
questions to contact her directly at 769-0095.  Mary Beth

>I purchased a few hundred dollars of the certificates, and used them
>all at the Co-op.
>
>I assume that the Co-op provides certificates at a discount because
>they hope that the certificates will increase sales.
>
>However, I always buy my groceries at the Co-op.
>
>Thus, I came to see my participation in this program as merely transfering
>funds from the Co-op to the Sierra Club.  I don't think the Co-op is
>any less worthy of funds than is the Sierra Club, so I lost my enthusiasm
>for the program.
>
>Am I misinterpreting?  Does the Co-op perhaps get a tax break from
>issuing the certificates, or something like that?
>
>tim athan

>County.

>smartgrowth-washtenaw"

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH