SG-W:/ WINTER SOLSTICE CAMPFIRE?

    I received a forwarded message about the full moon on the winter solstice
(below).  Since this will also be the LAST FULL MOON of the 1900s, would
anyone be interested in attending a Winter Solstice campfire?
    If I hear from even a few people, I think we'll have one at LeFurge
Woods.  Since this is a weeknight, we'd probably hold it from approximately 6
p.m. to 10 p.m.
    Jack Smiley
    Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy

December 22, 1999 and the Moon

This year will be the first full moon to occur on the winter solstice,
December 22, commonly called the First Day of Winter, in 133 years. Since the
full moon on the winter solstice will occur in conjunction with a lunar
perigee, the point in the moon's orbit that is closest to Earth, the moon
will appear about 14 per cent larger than it does at apogee, the point in its
elliptical orbit that is farthest from the Earth.
    The Earth is also several million miles closer to the sun than in the
summer, and sunlight striking the moon will be about 7 per cent stronger
making it brighter. Also, this will be the closest perigee of the Moon of the
year, since the moon's orbit is constantly deforming.

In layman's terms, it will be a super bright full moon, much more than usual
AND it hasn't happened this way for 133 years.  If the weather is clear and
there isn't a snow cover where you live, it is believed that even car
headlights will be superfluous.

Our ancestors 133 years ago saw this. Our descendants 100 or so years from
now will see this again.
Remember, this will happen December 22, 1999.