Re: SG-W:/ Bluffs

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, donna estabrook wrote:
> What would it take to get the city to buy the bluffs with some of the parks
> money voted in at the last election?

Donna,

I see two opportunities for citizens to work towards making the Bluffs a
park.

First, there's something we can do right now to pave the way for the City
to buy natural areas in general, not just the Bluffs. The land acquisition
process is guided by the City's "Parks Recreation and Open Space" (PROS)
plan which states the criteria by which land is evaluated.  The final
revision to the PROS plan will be the subject of a public hearing tonight,
Tuesday January 4th, at the Planning Commission meeting (City Hall, 2nd
floor).  I expect the public hearing to start about 7:15.

If we want the criteria to emphasize the purchase of property that has
important natural features and that creates substantial chunks of land
that protect the watershed and that are suitable wildlife habitat, then we
have to go to this meeting and say so.  Many others have much different
views of what should guide acquisitions - and they have had considerable
input in drafting these land acquisition criteria.  Those who make the
rules will rule the process for the next five years.  Let's make sure our
voices are heard.

The next step is to tell the Parks Advisory Committee that you think a
particular parcel is worthy of purchase.  This group of citizens,
appointed by the Mayor and Council, decides what parcels to pursue. I
suggest waiting to send this letter until after the City Council vote on
the condo development proposed for the Bluffs, which is expected on
January 18th.  Only if the developer loses this vote will the City take
seriously the option of purchasing the Bluffs as a park.

I'll provide further updates on the timing of the Council vote.

Doug Cowherd