SG-W:/ Fall elections - 2000

As I read this week's Dexter Leader, I see tremendous opportunity for smart
growth activists to have a great impact in the upcoming elections, if we
have the will and desire.

For example, the front page state that three of the Board of Trustees in
Lima Township, including Supervisor Gary Adams, are not seeking re-election
this fall.  This is a huge part of the governing body for the township!
Further the article states that not one resident of the township has stepped
forward and registered to run for the vacant seats.

This is a township that, like Sharon Twp, is in the middle of a battle over
a potentially huge mobile home subdivision.  In addition, Lima Twp is ripe
for tremendous growth over the next few years, as it is the next in line
west of Scio Twp, which is rapidly running out of open space.

Ideally, I think a slate of candidates could get together in Lima Twp, put
together a smart growth platform, and win with a relatively simple message.
Are there any thoughts on this or are there potential candidates ready to
step forward?  Registering to run is a relatively easy and painless process.

I have little doubt that there are other opportunities like this in other
Washtenaw County townships, if people are willing to take the next step.

Until we can change the system, we have to work within it to do the right
thing.  And that means getting elected to township boards, so we can have a
say in future planning.

I think this listserv could be used as a great sounding board for developing
strategies, platforms, etc.

What do you think?  In general, candidates have to declare by this spring,
so now is the time to get the ball rolling.

Jeff Surfus