SG-W:/ Voting Reminder

I wanted to thank  Jan  (February 15, Voting Information) for clarifying the
voting procedures for the Michigan presidential primaries, since today is the Republican Primary I will reprint the info she provided:

Tuesday, February 22:  this is an open primary for Republican and Reform
Party candidates.  Anyone can vote, as there is no formal party
registration in Michigan.  Vote at your normal polling place.

Saturday, March 11:  This is the closed Democratic presidential primary
(also called a firehouse caucus) run by the Democratic Party.  To vote,
you must be willing to self-identify as a Democrat.  You can vote in
person, by going to the proper one of 6 sites in the county, none of
which are your regular voting locations, and you must be in line by 11
a.m.

For the short primary season, the Washtenaw Gore for President
Headquarters, Ann Arbor, is at 304 S. State.  Phone is 994-0481 or
741-1062. Volunteers are urgently sought.  An Ypsilanti office will be
open soon.

I wanted to share the following material for informational purposes only and not as an endorsement of a candidate or party:

Voting today in the Republican Primary does not preclude one from also
participating in the Democratic Party caucus or submitting an absentee
ballot.

Also: I spoke with a volunteer this morning  at the Washtenaw Gore for Pres.
Office who informed me that the absentee ballots for the Democratic Primary
must be in Lansing by March 3 and that these ballots can be photocopied.
The headquarters (see phone # above) can provide info regarding  the caucus locations (there are
3 in Ann Arbor) and they can also mail you an absentee ballot. . Your particular
caucus locale is  based on your current polling place.  Absentee ballots are
encouraged for those individuals who cannot spend the time that is
involved in participating in the caucus process (remember you have to be
there on a Saturday March 11) before 11 am and it will likely take longer
than the time it typically takes to cast a vote). If you are planning to submit an absentee ballot time is running out.