SG-W:/ airport/Newmarket

Peter (Allen)

Hi Peter, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We didn't have a computer
for a while. I would echo what Jeff Marine said about the "Newmarket at the
Airport" concept. Frankly, most of us like the airport pretty well, and
would find a traffic snarling, school crowding, polluting subdivision
infinitely less acceptable. Let me know how this flies if you present it
anywhere, but I can't see a lot of support from Pittsfield, though I
certainly don't speak for everyone. I'm sure you realize that your plan
would not get rid of the Newmarket developer - we'd probably just end up
with two humongous developments if we converted the airport too. To keep
this land forever green, the only option is puchasing the land or getting
folks to donate conservation easements, etc., in Central Pittsfield, and
keep the airport as is.

To Bob and others - this was an idea that Peter floated past me some time
ago, but I didn't have time to respond: He suggested eliminating the Ann
Arbor Airport, moving air traffic to Willow Run, and putting the Newmarket
Development on the AA Airport site, saving the Newmarket land (Central
Pittsfield) for a park, though the mechanism for funding the park was
unclear. Just a thought on Peter's behalf.

All the best, Tina