SG-W:/ Re: Great Counties have great parks

The problem I have with this is that it is all about soccer fields.  I
am in favor of multiuse parks, but in my opinion we need to concentrate
on preservation of natural areas, which are used primarily for passive
recreation (though what is passive about hiking and enjoying wildlife, I
have never understood).  Natural areas - uh, are natural, that is, they
preserve our biological inheritance.  They are also good for clean
water, clean air, and reducing global warming.  Even to drive by they
enhance the visual impression of countryside.

Soccer fields require turf and no trees.  Turf by its nature requires
application of fertilizers and pesticides (I've seen descriptions of
"green" golfcourses but not "green" soccerfields) and therefore will
lead to eutrophication of water supplies.  Although I guess they are
"open space", they are not particularly lovely and can mostly be enjoyed
only by the small segment of the population who wants to play soccer or
some other games.  They do nothing to preserve biological diversity.

In my opinion, the drive for recreational land is a direct threat to
real preservation of open space.  Any vehicle to purchase open space
(e.g., a millage) needs to be protected from it.

Vivienne Armentrout