Re: SG-W:/ Re: Great Counties have great parks

Gary,

I think you're missing the point.  Although soccer and other play fields
could and should be a part of the recreational lands in a community, they
should not create an exclusive recreational landscape which precludes or
destroys other important recreational opportunities.

The problem is that many communities have grossly inadequate recreational
facilities...and when push comes to shove, natural areas are too often
replaced by ball fields.  More people enjoy hiking/walking in the outdoors
than any other recreational activity.  We need to accommodate a multitude of
activities--but we shouldn't sacrifice one for the other.

As Vivienne correctly noted, however, protecting natural areas does more than
just provide recreational opportunities.  The economic and social importance
of providing clean air, clean water, and aesthetic viewsheds should not be
underestimated.  Our quality of life depends more upon natural areas than it
does upon soccer fields, but we need to plan so that we protect enough land to
 accommodate both.

Jack Smiley
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy