RE: SG-W:/ Re: Great Counties have great parks

Is there anyone in Scio Twp (or the Sierra Club) who might be interested in
advocating for a parks acquisition millage in Scio Township?  Scio Township
has no township parkland.  The 1995 Master Plan recommended that no parkland
be obtained (either through voluntary contribution or purchase).  When asked
at the 1995 public hearing for the Master Plan why no parks were proposed,
we were told that Scio Twp. residents don't want to pay for parks and that
residents can use City of Ann Arbor Parks.  As the demand for active
recreation lands increases, it seems reasonable that rapidly suburbanizing
Scio Twp should provide recreation services to it's residents.  It is
projected that 17,000 residents will live in Scio within the next 15 years.
The issue affects land use in another way.  While Ann Arbor residents pay
taxes for a comprehensive park system (used extensively by non-residents),
townships can keep their taxes low.  The tax disparity between the City and
townships encourages people to live in low density, auto dependent
townships.

Jeff Kahan