SG-W:/ Working with farmers

Friends,

I've been wondering for a while how we might convey the potential for
farmland to benefit us in more ways than just supplying food. Hemp for
paper and textiles or biomass for fuel, for example. My thinking, in
part, is that making use of land already cleared for these purposes is
better than clearing forests and destroying wildlife habitat for lumber,
paper, etc. Short of that, here's an article on how farmers can at least
improve their land's impact on the broader environment.

Anyone interested in discussing how farmers and enviros can work together
to accomplish this, as well as to make farming more profitable and
valuable to our community in other ways? Maybe we can demonstrate how
truly valuable agricultural lands *can be*, so we'll all have a greater
incentive to prevent them from being paved over.

Steve

FARMERS CAN HELP CONTROL GLOBAL WARMING

NEW YORK, New York, April 25, 2000 (ENS) - "Soil Sense: How Farmers Can
Profit And Help To Control Global Warming," is a new brochure that shows
farmers how they can grow crops in ways that keep more carbon in the soil
not allowing it to escape into the atmosphere. Emissions of the
greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (C02) from industry and automobiles
contribute to global warming. There are also many ways for farmers to
manage their fields and livestock that can improve their wallets and keep
the planet cooler. The brochure was released today by the U.S.
Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service, the
National Agroforestry Center, the Soil and Water Conservation Society and
Environmental Defense.

"These practices are a win-win option," said Dr. Janine Bloomfield, an
Environmental Defense scientist. "These strategies make economic and
ecological sense for farmers. Investing in climate change control can
have financial benefits for US agriculture, and long-term benefits for
people and the planet." The brochure spotlights practices such as
conservation or "no-till" cultivation systems that increase carbon
storage in the soil, reduce the number of field operations, thereby
saving energy, money, and time, and can increase productivity, and reduce
soil erosion. Better management of nitrogen fertilizers means that less
greenhouse gases will become trapped in the atmosphere and fields lose
fewer  nutrients to ground and surface waters. Farmers save money on
fertilizer costs and protect water quality. In large livestock
operations, recovery systems for liquid manure reduce emissions of the
greenhouse gas methane, improve water quality, and can be a source of
energy - biogas. The brochure is available on-line at
http://www.swcs.org/f_pubs_education.htm