SG-W:/ Local Control

There seems to be a general sense that local governments have lost any real ability to control how growth occurs at the township level.  The Michigan Municipal League is trying to get an initiative on the ballot (they are gathering signatures now) that would allow people to vote on whether they want "home rule" to exist at the township level.  If we are all concerned about the lack of control, isn't this a good place to start?  Should the people on this list serve be working to get that proposal on the November ballot?  The worst that could happen is that it wouldn't pass, but even then it sends a message to Lansing that we feel the current weakened state of local government control isn't working.
I also find it interesting that Gov. Engler can step in to muscle legislators to work towards a deregulation of power companies, but has been nowhere regarding legislation for changing the way Mobile Home developers do business in our State, or even supporting and "muscling" through changes on the Mobile Home Commission.  This industry contributes to sprawl, allows no local voice in its planning, and is unfairly taxed.  SEMCOG has been studying this industry and making recommendations for 10 years, even MSU has made studies and recommendations, and the Gov.'s own task force put forth a study on what needs to be done to change things.  Talk about shoveling sand against the tide !
Is the MML efforts worth supporting?
Jennie