Re: SG-W:/ Local Control

Thanks Jeff S. for the info. That was really helpful. We do already have
home rule, but sometime the state can override it. That's, I think, what
this part is about:

>"This is about preservation of home rule, something we're already given in
>the state constitution," said Hollister. "Many local units enjoy good
>relationships with their business community and don't want to jeopardize
>that."

Awful lot of focus on business in this press release. I can't say I
understand the motivation behind this initiative. The problem we've had with
home rule in Pittsfield is that for example, when the local govt. decided it
was ok to plop subdivisions in amongst our farms, they then got complaints
from the new residents about how bad the pigs smelled. Solution: write an
ordinance saying odor can't cross the property line. Goodby farm, hello
Farmview Estates, and the State couldn't help because of home rule. It's
been a nail in the coffin of Ag, which is what drove SB205, which overrides
local ordinances on Ag and protects Right To Farm (although many folks are
skeptical of SB205). Home rule has had no benefit when it comes to
rezonings. That's a legal problem. If we had better home rule, could we
assign impact fees to developers? Because we have no state enabling
legislation for that now, and that's a huge problem.

Somebody is clearly having a problem with state regs in the business
community, or we wouldn't have this initiative, right? Tina