Re: SG-W:/ Home-Rule Ballot Initiative

Another side of the home rule issue is the "divide and conquer" aspect of
it.  The whole WTO and corporate globalization issue is similar in that it
involves multi-national corporations getting much more powerful than many
supposedly sovereign national governments and thus able to enforce their own
version of a market ethic on countries whose people don't want it.

On the land use issue, I'd think it is much easier for a large developer (or
any corporation) to win a lawsuit against a local goverment than against a
state, simply due to the relative resources available to fight it.

Craig Harvey
harvey@ic.net