SG-W:/ urban sprawl and wise land use management

I learned a great deal about sprawl and how to deal effectively with it
from the web site
http://www.ijc.org/milwaukee/transcript/99_12d_municipal.html
described in the message below.  We have a long way to go in this county to
curb sprawl.

Bruce A. Manny
Tel: 734-214-7255

----- Forwarded by Bruce A Manny/BRD/USGS/DOI on 05/18/00 02:53 PM -----

                    "Day, Jennifer"
                    <DayJ@windsor.ij        To:     "'ijc-announce@ijc.org'"
                    c.org>                  <ijc-announce@ijc.org>,
                    Sent by:                "'Glin-announce@great-lakes.net'"
                    owner-ijc-announ        <Glin-announce@great-lakes.net>,
                    ce@ijc.org              "'com-net@great-lakes.net'" <com-net@great-lakes.net>
                                            cc:
                                            Subject:     urban sprawl and land use management
                    05/02/00 09:19
                    AM

> Concerned about urban sprawl and land use management?  Check out what
four
> experts and others had to say at the Municipal Workshop, held September
> 24, 1999 in conjunction with the International Joint Commission's 1999
> Milwaukee Biennial Meeting on Great Lakes Water Quality.  More important
> than just talking about problems, the speakers presented innovative
> approaches that are actively being implemented.
>
> -        Dr. Robert Burchell, Rutgers University.  The Economics of
Sprawl
> -        Mr. Ron Young, Maryland Office of Planning.  Maryland's Smart
Growth
> -        Mr. Sam Edwards, Tennessee Chapter, American Planning
Association.
> Tennessee's Unified Design and Arbitration Process -- Local Government
> Owning their Own Regional Approach
> -        Ms. Lynne Woolstencroft, City of Waterloo, Ontario.  Role of
Local
> Governments in Effective Land Management
>
> The session, hosted by Wisconsin State Senator Brian Burke, also included
> insightful perspectives by John Norquist, Mayor of Milwaukee, Wisconsin;
> and Peter Yeomans, Mayor of Dorval Quebec.  In addition, Ms. Jan Marsh of
> the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency provided information about
Better