Re: SG-W:/ county land preservation proposal

In a message dated 6/13/2000 7:41:38 PM EST, breuninger@fbwebmaster.com
writes:

<< I am curious why farmland was excluded from the millage proposal.  Perhaps
that is why the Home Builders Association is endorsing this proposal.  They
will probably think this is good idea,  make taxes go up so financially
strapped farmers have to sell land to them to pay their bills.  Think about
that while you're eating  the safest, most inexpensive food in the world!  It
is too bad farmers were excluded! >>

Bruce:  You're right on as to why farmland was excluded, but not so as to tax
farmers more and drive them off the land.  None of us who have been active on
this current proposal have abandoned farmland preservation, myself
especially.  Many people are still scared off by the firestorm farmland
caused as part of Proposal 1, there is a poor understanding of agriculture
and its role in our economy and land use by most elected officials and the
general public and there was no chance to put that part of the failed
proposal back on the ballot this year.  Our thought here was to float
something that had a decent chance to get opposition support and ultimately
that of the electorate, and keep other considerations open for the future.
While I have had some hesitancy in this current effort, I do feel that a
successful ballot measure will be beneficial to our long-term efforts to
protect farmland, which is what needs to happen for real change to occur.  So
please don't give up hope, there's much to do, and I'm doing everything else
I can to set the stage for successful efforts in the near future.

Barry Lonik