SG-W:/ Chelsea Mobile Home Park

Title: Chelsea Mobile Home Park

If anyone is interested in a SmartGrowth show, there will be a public hearing on rezoning about 100 acres southwest of Chelsea from Ag to Mobile Home Park. The public hearing will be Thursday, 31 August 2000 at 7:30 P.M. in the Sylvan Township Hall, 18027 Old US-12, Chelsea, MI. At the same time and place there is another hearing on a special use permit for the Village to build an Electrical Substation in the same general area. There is no knowing which they will do first.

I'm considering suggesting the all the townships in Washtenaw County declare a moratorium on Mobile Home Park permits while a county wide citizen education campaign, is conducted. Then a county wide Mobile Home Park master plan should be developed that minimizes the negative impacts of Mobile Home Parks without bankrupting the Townships or County with court costs.

A couple of ideas in the back of my mind that may or may not be any good are to put the master plan to a vote of the whole county. If the voters reject the master plan we might have to live with whatever a court dictates and I know there is no court in the state that doesn't hate these cases. Another idea is to substitute Housing Rip-off Scheme everywhere I used Mobile Home Park.

Regardless of what I do all the same old issues will get dragged out in a new venue.