Re: SG-W:/ MEC Land Stewardship Initiative News

I too, am divided.  I noticed that the Michigan Municipal League
(represents Villages and Cities) is advocating the proposition, while
Michgian Townships Association is advocating against it.

Some of the laws coming from this particular legislature, regarding Mobile
Home Parks, factory farms, requiring (or not) officers to reside inthe
city they work, taking over a city's schools, etc., have been what has
triggered this proposition.  These are the kind of things IMHO should have
local control.  However, I also agree very much with Kristen about the
need for regional planning and the need for taking *some* of the control
or responsibility from locals in order to allow *with local input and
power as well* regional planning.  I have this perspective because I work
at the Huron River Watershed Council, which is trying to get people to
plan on a watershed level.  Our watershed include 63 DIFFERENT communites,
each with their own master plans - this is not really working for the
River.

So, My Two Cents.
Kris Olsson