SG-W:/ Tour de Sprawl IV this Saturday

Friends,

The Olympics are nice, but let's face it - those folks aren't doing
all that much to stop sprawl in Washtenaw County.

Riding your bike in the Tour de Sprawl this Saturday combines the athletic
glory of the Olympics with promoting an environmentalist vision for our
community.  Well, at least it will be a lot of fun.  And there will be a
party with a band and food at the end for a lot less than the Olympics
cost.

This year's Tour will be a bicycle and bus trip through 19 miles of scenic
rural countryside.  We'll learn about how we can deal with growth
pressures in an area with some of the finest farms and open space in
Washtenaw County. At frequent stops, experts will discuss good and bad
examples of development and comment on the governmental tools available to
manage growth.

The pace will be relaxed; cyclists can hop on the bus if they're bushed.
You can also take the bus for the whole tour. At the end of the Tour we'll
kick back and enjoy a live band, good food, and the fine company of fellow
Tour participants.

Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. on September 23rd at the Webster Town
Hall. The Town Hall is northwest of Ann Arbor on Webster Church Road, 1/2
mile south of North Territorial Road. Added transportation now means you
can show up for the bus ride without pre-registering ($7).  Bike riders
will pay $5 on the day of the Tour. The Tour will cover gravel roads so
mountain and hybrid bikes are recommended. Helmets are required.

To pre-register or to get more information on the Tour see
http://tour.yi.org, or call Erica Perry at (734) 449-2825.

See you at Tour de Sprawl IV.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

-------------------------------------

4th Annual Tour de Sprawl Sponsors:

APRON (Association for the Preservation of Rural Open Neighborhoods) of
       Webster Township
Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
Sierra Club-Mackinac Chapter
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy
Detroit Audubon Society
Washtenaw Audubon Society
Michigan Farm Bureau
Michigan Farmland and Community Alliance
Michigan Association of Conservation Districts
Rural Development Council of Michigan
Cousins Heritage Inn
Professional Landscape Services
HKP Landscape Architects
Merchant of Vino
Village Animal Clinic of Dexter
Gary and Annie Hannan of the Eastern Michigan University Biology Department