From: "Donna Estabrook" <destabro@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: SG-W:/ prop 2

> Vivienne - Thanks, for reminding us that Prop 2 would affect more that
just
> land-use issues.
> I would like to be able to see the language of the various proposals,
> propositions etc that will appear on the ballot - I live in the City of
Ann
> Arbor.  There must be some place where they are publicly available - and
> not just on the web.  Not everyone has web access.  Thanks,
> Donnna

PROPOSAL 00-2
A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION TO REQUIRE A SUPER MAJORITY VOTE
(2/3 VOTE) OF THE STATE LEGISLATURE TO ENACT CERTAIN LAWS AFFECTING LOCAL
GOVERNMENTS
The proposed constitutional amendment would:
1. Require a super majority vote (2/3 vote) of the State Legislature to
enact any law which
addresses a matter which a county, city, township, village or municipal
authority could otherwise
address under its governing powers or which places a condition on
unrestricted aid extended
local governments by the State. (Currently, a simple majority vote of
legislature is required to
enact such laws.)
2. Retroactively apply the super majority vote requirement to any such law
enacted on or after
March 1, 2000.
3. Exempt from the super majority vote requirement any such law which can be
applied at the
option of local governments.

Should this proposal be adopted?