SG-W:/ Italy

I recently returned from a trip to the Tuscany region of Italy, and was truly amazed at how their agricultural land is valued and protected. It was beautiful, they have some law in which an individual can only remodel an existing home on agricultural property - *no new development is allowed! Also, they had some special restriction on mobile phone towers *(we never saw one, -yet the service was fine for the folks that relied on their mobile phones)
Is anyone out there familiar with these European agricultural policies? I'd really like to learn more.
Thanks,
Cyndi
czucc@earthlink.net
czucc@umich.edu