SG-W:/ Growth

To Smartgrowth

    My Nimby interest in stopping Newmarket is served if traffic on Platte Road is reduced. However, some people have said that the alternative to Newmarket, namely single family houses on one acre is even worse. The trouble is that the people who are trying to stop urban sprawl are not supporting any alternatives which will help the overall problem. If a development is stopped in one location, then it will merely be transferred to another.
     Single family houses spread across the countryside are one of the biggest reasons why we are consuming so much gasoline and natural gas. This is exacerbated by the fact that so many single people are doing it. The result is that we are using twice as much energy per capita as Europe and ten time as much as China. Our contribution to Global warming is much greater than any other country.
      My question to Tina Lirones and the others who are trying to stop Sprawl is, what alternatives do you have? It is my belief that the only way we can survive in the coming years without oil and natural gas is by clustering housing very tightly and then make each cluster into both a farming and a manufacturing community. We must employ both old fashioned and new methods. Everyone must work both physically and intellectually.
      Presently no one has the slightest idea as to how to survive without gas and oil. If nothing is done, then when the crisis hits there will be starvation and anarchy. Armed gangs will roam the countryside in search of food. On the other hand if there is a plan, and an understanding that Earth's resources are limited, Then we can easily survive for several generations on solar, wind, and biomass. Of these three, biomass is the most evenly spread across the country, is the easiest to use, and the easiest to store. However it takes free land to grow it. It is imperative to start massive tree plantings everywhere Trees planted should also grow food if possible.
     It is my belief that cooperatives such as the cohousing that was built off of Jackson road are the place to start. However, such housing must consist of multi family, multi story buildings which have a geometric heat advantage, save land for farming, and reduce transportation needs by being stand alone communities. You must get the stupid philosophies out of such movements and design communities on an engineering basis so that all opportunities to save both energy and fertilizer are utilized. All sewage and waste biomass must be used for both fertilizer and power. In the daytime in summer solar energy must furnish all power. If biomass is saved for Winter then it is useful for combined heat and power. It is very important that communities should manufacture in Winter and farm in Summer. This means that many small scale industries must be developed. It is important that love of nature be developed in all small children because that is one recreation that fits a world of growing things.
     I have proposed a small project around a single apartment house on the landfill site on Platte road which no one has supported. The building itself could be financed by people buying individual apartments at about $125,000 each. The universities would have to be lobbied to support the experiments in biogas, woodgas, solar energy, heat pumps, cottage industries, and all of the other technical and agricultural things that need to be done. Many proposals could be written. If Smartgrowth were to support this project I believe that it could happen and would serve as a model for other developments.
     Again a question for Tina. How can county zoning ordinances be modified so that high density apartment houses can be used as a basis for cooperative part time farming. It will probably be essential to create special zoning so these kinds of projects could be carried out. The culture of one or two people per dwelling on a mowed acre must be stopped. We need to use sheep and cows to do our mowing.
                                 Kermit Schlansker  PE