Re: SG-W:/ Meeting at Leopold's

Leopold's is a pleasant place and apparently an environmentally sound
enterprise, but I worry about their ability to make an ongoing business of
it.  They have only the small parking lot to the south of the building, and
are away from any other convenient parking and also away from almost anything
else people might be visiting during Leopold's evening hours --  a much less
favorable location than, say, Conor O'Neill's a couple of blocks to the
North. Do you have the sense they can make a go of it and stay in business
for a while?

<< hi,

 just thought i'd chime in with what i know about leopolds'.  i visit
 leopolds' fairly often and usually chat with either or both of the two
 brothers who own it.  i've never taken their tour, though, so can't tell
 you how they brew their beer or how closed the process is.

 i heard from scott leopold just a few weeks ago that he's starting to
 devote more attention to the greenhouse phase of the business and hopes to
 have some plants in the greenhouse this spring.

 they do have a limited food menu now -- hamburgers, veggie burgers, etc.,
 served with chips.  nothing very extensive, though, and nothing that would
 feed a meeting full of people.  they have a collection of take-out menus
 behind the bar and don't mind if patrons order dinner and have it
 delivered there.  when i do this with friends though, we always take our
 trash (pizza boxes and such) with us when we leave.  no use leaving our
 waste for them to deal with.

 i think they are doing fairly well, business-wise.  at least that is what
 todd leopold told me just the other day.  of course, i'm guessing they'd
 be happy with more business.  i do my best to take my business there
 whenever i can.  (why? i think they brew really good beer, i like the beer
 garden atmosphere and seating arrangement, and like what they are trying
 to do.) while it may seem a bit worn on the inside, it may be because much
 of the furniture was either purchased used or built using seconds from the
 lumberyard (in keeping with the sustainable business theme).  the long
 tables and benches were made by the leopold brothers and their father.

 maureen austin