SG-W:/ Meeting at Leopold's

i sincerly hope they can make a go of it, (and am doing my part to see
that they do!).  :)

as for parking, i try to walk there when i visit, but have seen people
park in the lot across the street.  ann arbor is such a great town for
walking.  i don't find leopolds' too far from the other main street
businesses.

this makes me realize how our sense of distance is often shaped by our
mode of transportation.  i came across the exerpt below a few years ago
and liked the imagery it gave on how our perception of distance can
change, often without our knowledge and with a result that somehow
diminishes our ability to view the world around us.  (it's from mander,
j., "four arguments for the elimination of television."  new york:
morrow quill paperbacks.  1978.)

"some years ago i decided to walk to work every day instead of driving. it
changed getting to work into a pleasurable experience -- no traffic jams
or parking hassles -- and i would stop now and then for coffee and a chat
with a friend.  more important, it changed my conception of distance. my
office was twenty blocks from my home, about a thirty-minute walk.  i
noticed that walking that distance was extremely easy.  i hadn't known
that my previous conception of twenty blocks was one which technology had
created.  my knowledge was car-knowledge.  i had become mentally and
physically a car-person.  now i was connecting distance and range to my
body, making the conception personal rather than mechanical, outside
myself."

of course not everyone can walk to work, but i suspect that at least a few
of the distances around ann arbor that we are quick to drive, might in
fact, turn out to be much more pleasant when experienced without our cars.

maureen