SG-W:/ Re: Anybody home??

Dear Muriel,

       Due to my slowness it has been difficult for me to reply to
individual messages. Therefore I wish to reply in a message to all which
will perhaps assist in obtaining Sustainability for a while at least.
       I wish to thank all people who gave positive replies to my post on
Sustainable Communities. I also wish to restate my viewpoint that in a time
of reduced resources The Planned Community is the only way that people will
be able to survive. This partly follows  the European model which is much
better than ours.
        The essential elements of the Community are partial self
sufficience, high housing density with multi stories, participation in both
agriculture and manufacturing, a very strong technical capability,
thriftiness, biomass, food storage, solar, wind, Combined Heat and Power,
mass orchard plantings, and Combined Heat, and Manufacturing. Property
rights must be preserved, yet there must be considerable sharing and joint
ownership.
        My personal situation is that I am 76 years old and have 3 children
and 3 grandchildren in Ann Arbor. Therefore it is not easy for me to move. I
had hoped to see an Ecomindium built here and would certainly invest in a
unit (one of eight or twelve) which might be built for and would cost about
$150,000. I might live in this. However for outside investors it is
essential to be able to rent the unit so that you could make at least 5% on
your investment. This would be a better hedge gainst disaster than gold.
        I believe that Arkansas would be a good location because of its
warmer climate, longer growing season, and cheaper land. However to put
money into it, it must be a secure (not a high pay off) investment because I
am trying to leave something to my progeny. In Arkansas  would be able to
visit it and help with the technical ideas.
         Before anything can happen then you either have to find someone who
can finance the whole thing, or several investors who can each buy a share.
I think it would be important to have at least 10 enthusiastic people with a
little money in their pockert before anything can happen. Good renters would
be important also.because someone has to pay back the absentee investors.
         It is important to realize that the community would have to embrace
both the present and the future. Paying for the land and building could be
done with ordinary investment strategies. However paying for the experiments
such as biomass  gasification, steam cogeneration, cottage manufacturing,
solar boilers, and water recyling would be easier to do if the colony were
backed by local universities who would write proposals and get funds for the
prototypes of the future. Make no mistake, all essential things such as food
and energy will cost more in the future. Therefore these experiments are
both  costly and  essential.
         In order to make this happen we must form a plan and try to get
people to back it or at least to think it out. Maybe we could find someone
who could make a million dollar investment. The relocation problem is
serious because many people are chained to their jobs or families. Therefore
it has to be set up on both an occupancy and investment basis. I would hope
we could start a movement and build more than one Agromindium.
         Please try to recruit Bruce Thomson (and others). He is ambivalent
as to where he wants to live and would be a good organizer.
         There have been several good posts on this subject. I hope to save
them for future reference. We need ideas as to how to get enough energy to
make it work and enough capital to make it happen. Even one small apartment
house is a start.
          Please anyone who could invest and or inhabit, or who has ideas,
respond. We need positive structured ideas, not negatives. I repeat This is
the only way to cut way back on consumption.

                                     Kermit Schlansker  PE