From: Weston Vivian <viva-wes@mediaone.net>
To: Kermit Schlansker <kssustain@provide.net>
Date: Sunday, February 25, 2001 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: Sustainability plan

Kermit,

You are not going to attract any significant cooperation until you convince many young people that prospective energy shortage is credible.  Few people young or old either comprehend that, or are willing even to listen to such annoying forecast with attendent dire consequences.  Focus on forecast!!!

Suggest you prepare "teaching pack" for Ann Arbor science teachers, get a few to adopt it, carefully seek and listen to teachers' and students' reactions, then rewrite, try again, eventually try to distribute further.

While in the most of your manifesto you propose actions relating to energy use or conversion, you start by advocating zero immigration (implying you are not concerned that the six billion people outside our 'stockade' may suffer more than those of us inside), and you end by damning social workers and pressing to use convicts.  These three  proposals will alienate many of the persons who otherwise could become your most dedicated allies.  Suggest you adopt and start with concern for all, enlist social workers, not mention prisoners.

Wes Vivian