SG-W:/ PDR event

Hi Everybody--

Here's a copy of a press advisory we are sending out today about an event on Monday to publicize all the PDR applications from Washtenaw County to the state program. The problem is, there' s very little money in the state PDR fund, and it's budget time in Lansing, so it's a good time to call attention to this issue. All are welcome.

Liz

March 3, 2001

Contact:

Barry Lonik, Washtenaw-Potawatomi Land Trust (734) 426-3669
Liz Brater, Ecology Center (734) 761-3186 x121
Mike Fusilier, Michigan Farm Bureau (734) 428-0092
Jim Fuerstenau, Michigan Farmland and Community Alliance (517) 323-6550

Press Advisory

Washtenaw County farmers will hold a press conference on Monday, March 5 at 11:00 a.m. at the Lesser farm in Dexter Township. Ten percent of the applications to the state Purchase of Development Rights (PDR) program this year came from Washtenaw County. Washtenaw County farmers are competing among 300 applications statewide for PDR funds that now total only about $5 million. Farmers will talk about why they applied for the program.

The Lessers' farm is at 12695 Island Lake Road (just west of Waterloo Road, 0.9 miles west of the end of the paved road). Going west on Island Lake, it's on the left, and there's a sign that says Eggs and Honey at the drive.

>From M-52 going south, go left on N. Territorial, to Ryker Rd., just past the North Lake Store. Turn right on Ryker, which runs into Island Lake. Go up a hill and around a corner and you're there.

>From M-52 going north, turn right on Werkner Road, go 3/4 mile to Waterloo Rd., turn right on Waterloo and take Waterloo till it ends. Turn left on Island Lake Rd., and the farm is on the left at the top of the hill.

This event is sponsored by the Washtenaw-Potawatomi Land Trust, the Michigan Farm Bureau, the Michigan Farmland and Community Alliance, and the Ecology Center.

Liz Brater
Land Use Director
Ecology Center
117 N. Division