Re: SG-W:/ food for thought

Agreed.  It seems that when zoning boards are presented with a project which would include a large number of families in a small area, their reaction is the same as it is to a landfill:  "Yes, our area needs them, but not in my backyard, and not on my civic infrastructure."

>>> "Jeff Surfus" <jeffsurfus@msn.com> 03/16/01 11:46AM >>>
Things have been a little slow as of late, so I thought I'd throw a few
tidbits out there for folks to consider.

The Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) is a local nonprofit that
provides shelter, meals, case management, program referrals, and housing
assistance to more than 100 homeless families per year in Washtenaw
County.  Last night they had the grand opening of their brand new facility
on Jackson Avenue.  It's a beautiful facility that will provide short term
housing for homeless families in Washtenaw County who are trying to get
back on their feet.

I picked up a card that they were handing out that had the following
facts:

-At least 1,900 people in Washtenaw County are homeless on any given day.

-More than half of these are children and their parents.

-750 of these homeless people will go without food for 1 or more days.

-90% of all heads of household participating in IHN ARE EMPLOYED.

-The average annual income for a family of 4 in IHN's temporary shelter is
less than $14,000 or $6.73/hour.

-The fair market rent for a 3-bedroom apartment in Washtenaw County is
$968/month or $11,616/year.

-Impoverished families spend 60-70% of their income on housing costs,
double that of 25 years ago.

-The waiting period to get into local public housing can be up to five
years.

-WASHTENAW COUNTY NEEDS 600 OR MORE UNITS OF LOW COST HOUSING TO
ACCOMODATE THE CURRENT NUMBER OF HOMELESS ADULTS AND CHILDREN.

How do we balance these needs with the need for open space, agricultural
land, and parkland?

How can we seriously talk about 10 acre versus 2 acre lot sizes when so
many people can't even afford a roof over their heads?

Jeff Surfus

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİÜmartgrowth-washtenaw:  Internet List and Forum for issues relating to

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ==