Re: SG-W:/lots of families...

It seems like a key part of the density discussion is the "for any given
number of dwellings" part of Mike's statement.   Certainly, high density is
good if we had zoning or planning that dictates not lot sizes but how many
homes can be built in a given area, so that "number of dwellings" can be
clustered in a way that preserves open space.  But for some reason zoning
and planning isn't like that, so for any given area where small lot sizes do
promote high-density development, any land that is "saved" generally seems
to be used for... more development.

At some point, one could say, housing demand is satisfied and less land
overall is used, but I think it's natural for people to worry that by the
time that happens, we'll have a lot of high-density development in a given
*area* and not much open space to show for it.  We would, however (to get
back to the subject Jeff brought up), probably have more affordable housing
than if all the development had been on 10-acre lots.

In general, I think high-density development is the way to go, but I can
understand why people have concerns about it in specific situations.