Re: SG-W:/lots of families...

This is an interesting conversation that Jeff has gotten started.
Affordable housing and saving open space and farmland don't have to be
mutually exclusive.  The Ultimate Farmland Preservation Tour shows this
clearly in Montgomery County, Maryland, where they have PDR, TDR, and
inclusionary zoning.  Inclusionary zoning means that a certain percentage
of affordable units gets built into every new development.  The units blend
in and are really not distinguishable from the market rate units.  The city
of Ann Arbor has used this technique informally in negotiating with
developers to put a portion of affordable units in some of the new downtown
development.

The next farm tour is March 29-April 2 and I highly recommend it.  You will
also learn about PDR, TDR, and other farmland preservation techniques and
see some beautiful countryside in Maryland, NJ, and Pennsylvania.

If anyone wants brochures, please let me know.

Liz Brater
Land Use Director
Ecology Center
117 N. Division