[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
SG-W:/ The event of the year! - EARTH DAY with an attitude! April 19
- Subject: SG-W:/ The event of the year! - EARTH DAY with an attitude! April 19
- From: Mary Beth Doyle <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:51:25 -0400
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,BWeinert@ci.ann-arbor.mi.us, firstname.lastname@example.org,Erika Kovacs <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Smileysmlc@aol.com,email@example.com, "james nicita" <firstname.lastname@example.org>,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, NStone@ci.ann-arbor.mi.us,firstname.lastname@example.org, "Patrick S. Grimes" <email@example.com>,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,"Dancin' Fools" <email@example.com>, Eileen <firstname.lastname@example.org>,Gilles <email@example.com>, Jamie <firstname.lastname@example.org>,Joshua Payne <email@example.com>,Keith <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,Melanie <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Barbproof@aol.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org_98@yahoo.com, BARTONSB@CONCENTRIC.NET,MarilynW@ci.milan.mi.us, MKish@aol.com, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, heikkaRN@aol.com, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Steve_Evans_48135@yahoo.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Oscarato@hotmail.com,WendyL327@aol.com
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you angry about what is happening to the environment in Michigan?
Are you tired of the relentless drumbeat of bad news? Do you feel like
short-sighted decision makers are ruining the state for us and for
future generations? Now's your chance to do something about it,
stand up and be counted!
EARTH DAY WITH AN ATTITUDE !!!!
WHAT: A public forum and rally in Lansing
WHEN: Thursday, April 19, 11 am
WHERE: Central United Methodist Church, 215 N. Capitol
(directly North of the State Capitol)
The rally follows on the Capitol Steps at 1 pm.
This is a chance for the PEOPLE to be heard!
Join us as we band together to demand a better approach to safeguard our
air and water and forests and streams. Demand that our state's resources
and public health be protected! All welcome! Please join your
Calling it "Earth Day with an Attitude," Michigan environmental groups and
people from numerous Michigan communities will converge in Lansing to hold
the Engler Administration accountable for failing to protect our air, water
and the health of Michigan families. The event begins at the Central United
Methodist Church, 215 N. Capitol (directly North of the State Capitol) in
Lansing on Thursday, April 19 starting at 11:00 a.m. and continues on the
East steps of the Capitol at 1 p.m. All concerned citizens are invited to
"People whose environmental rights have been violated in communities
across the state are coming to Lansing to share their frustrations with
their elected officials. We hope these officials will be there to listen,"
said Lana Pollack, President of the Michigan Environmental Council (MEC).
The public forum will put faces on many of the case studies that exposed
lax enforcement by the DEQ in the reports, Dereliction of Duty and
Continuing Dereliction of Duty (available at www.mecprotects.org). These
reports detail how DEQ leadership has overruled staff recommendations and
community concerns resulting in decisions that place Michigan's air, water
and public health in jeopardy.
Schedule of events:
11:00 a.m. -12:45 p.m. Public Forum at Central United Methodist Church
1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Rally at the Capitol Steps - Speakers on latest
threats to the Great Lakes- oil drilling and factory farms
1:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Local Bands - Steppin' in It, James in Flames, and
Carmen Electra Paradise.
A short video and other materials for the media will be made available a
few days before the event. The event itself should provide excellent
visuals for television and photos.
Busses will be leaving Friday morning from Detroit and Romulus. The
Romulus bus leaves from the Kmart at Telegraph and Goddard at 9 am, and
will be back at 5 pm. The Detroit bus will leave at 8:30. For details on
the Detroit bus, contact Tyrone at Detroiters Working for Environmental
Justice at 313- 821-1064.
The event is sponsored by: MEC, Sierra Club, Ecology Center, PIRGIM, Lone
Tree Council, Environmental Health Watch, Detroiters Working for
Environmental Justice, Michigan Environmental Justice Coalition, Clean
Water Action, League of Conservation Voters Ed. Fund, HEAT, Michigan Land
Use Institute, NO WASTE, RECAP, Cadillac Area Citizens for Clean Air,
MCATS, and Sisters of St. Joseph Peace and Justice Office.
Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project
117 N. Division
Ann Arbor MI 48104
734-663-2400 ext 108
smartgrowth-washtenaw: Internet List and Forum for issues relating to
sprawl, smart growth, and preservation of the quality of life in Washtenaw
Postings to: email@example.com For info, send
email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-line message body of "info